Tampa Same-Sex Divorce Attorney
Florida Divorce Lawyer for LGBT Couples
On January 5, 2015, the temporary stay on issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in Florida was lifted. Florida had ruled the August prior that the 2008 same-sex marriage ban was unconstitutional, making Florida the 36th state to legalize gay marriage. Consequently, same-sex divorce was also legalized because the institution of marriage between same-sex couples was finally acknowledged.
Givens Givens Sparks can help you if any of the following apply to you:
- You were married in another state and wish to obtain a same-sex divorce in Florida
- You were married in Florida and need to obtain a separation, divorce, or annulment in Florida
- You reside in the state of Florida and were served divorce papers
- You were married in Florida or another state and need help with child custody, alimony, or other family law issues related to divorce/separation
Givens Givens Sparks is a team of compassionate and understanding Tampa divorce ATTORNEYS. If any of these describes you, we invite you to get in touch with our firm today at (813) 756-1871.
Issues Facing Same-Sex Divorcing Couples
Because divorcing LGBT couples are treated the same by law as divorcing heterosexual couples, the issues they face with an impending divorce are largely the same as the issues many couples have faced for years.
- Alimony – Disagreements over alimony are a common point of contention in divorce. Factors considered when deciding alimony include duration of the marriage, age, standard of living, salary, and more.
- Child Support – Child support payments are usually awarded to the party that gets primary custody of the children. The amount of that support is usually the sticking point.
- Parenting Time / Visitation – Visitation, also called "parenting time," is awarded to the non-custodial parent. Problems can arise when the custodial parent does not want visitation or are not happy with the way visits have been set up.
- Property Division – Division of property in Florida divorces is equitable, taking into consideration separate and marital property. Equitable does not mean equal, so deciding which spouse is entitled to which of the marital properties can be difficult.
Call a Tampa Divorce Lawyer at Givens Givens Sparks
Givens Givens Sparks is one of the oldest and most well-known divorce firms in the Tampa Bay area. We have more than 135 years of experience, two ATTORNEYS on staff who are Board Certified as experts in their fields, and attorneys rated in Florida Super Lawyers®. In addition, Givens Givens Sparks was voted one of the "Best Law Firms" in the field of marital law by US News.
If you are seeking a same-sex divorce in Florida, contact one of the Tampa divorce ATTORNEYS at Givens Givens Sparks to discuss your case and learn how we can help!