Chris M. Givens, Esq.
A lifelong Tampa resident, Chris Givens and his family have close ties to the local community. In his role as a Partner at Givens Givens Sparks, he helps lead the firm’s divorce and family law practice.
Chris earned his bachelor’s in Political Science (with Honors) from the University of Florida, studied law at Boston University School of Law, and obtained his Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Florida State University College of Law. While in Tallahassee, Chris worked in a civil litigation firm and FSU's Criminal Justice Program, where he tried 5 jury trials as a law student.
Following law school, Chris began his legal career as an Assistant State Attorney in Hillsborough County, Florida, where he tried a multitude of felonies and misdemeanors. Chris left the State Attorney's Office to join the firm of Knox and Givens, where he represented clients in cases involving family law and domestic violence, as well as civil litigation and criminal defense.
Recognized as a top up-and-comer in the legal community, Chris has been named to the prestigious Super Lawyers list of Rising Stars℠ for 7 consecutive years. (2013-2019). This selection is based on peer evaluations and other criteria indicative of talented, top young lawyers, and is a distinction earned by no more than 2.5% of attorneys in the entire state.
At Givens Givens Sparks, Chris has achieved substantial results for his family law clients, and leverages his breadth of experience to provide meaningful, personalized counsel and representation – both in and out of the courtroom. Chris’ areas of practice focus exclusively on divorce, property division, alimony, child custody and visitation, domestic violence, and other matters of family law.
Chris is an active member of Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church in Tampa, Florida.
Quick Facts About Chris Givens
- University of Florida - Bachelor of Sciences, Political Science - 1999
- Florida State University College of Law - Juris Doctorate - 2003
State Courts of Florida
Selected Honors & Memberships
- Named "Nation's Top One Percent" 2015 by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Named to Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars℠" (2013-2019)
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Member, Florida Justice Association
- Member, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters
- Member, Family Law Inn of Tampa
- Member, Hillsborough County Family Law Executive Counsel
Experience & Advocacy
- Assistant State Attorney for the 13th Judicial Circuit – 2003-2005
- Knox & Givens, PA – 2005-2009
- Givens Givens Sparks – 2009 to present
- Co-author, Alimony chapter, Florida Dissolution of Marriage, The Florida State Bar Continuing Legal Education; Seventh Edition (2006), Eighth Edition (2008), Ninth Edition (2009), Tenth Edition (2010)
- Co-author, Modification of Child Support chapter, Florida Proceedings After Dissolution of Marriage, The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education; Ninth Edition (2009)
Family Law Practice Areas
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Property Division
- Recovery of Attorneys Fees & Costs
- Modification Actions
- Family Law Enforcement Actions
- Enforcement and Defense of Domestic Violence Injunctions