Stann W. Givens, Esq.
Founding Partner & Experienced Family Law Attorney
Stann Givens is the founding partner in the law firm of Givens Givens Sparks. He began as a prosecuting attorney in the State Attorney’s office in Tampa, Florida. For more than 30 years, he has specialized in the area of Family Law and is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in that field. He was also voted "Lawyer of the Year" 2016 by Best Lawyers in the area of Family Law in Tampa.
He is a former president of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Florida Chapter and has frequently lectured throughout the state on matters relating to divorce law. He is the author of the Alimony Chapter of the Florida Bar Dissolution of Marriage textbook.
He was the first recipient of the Professionalism Award of the Family Law American Inn of Court of Tampa in 1999, and his highest professional honor was the recent renaming of the Inn, which is now known as the Stann W. Givens Family Law American Inn of Court of Tampa. Stann also holds the highest attorney rating (AV) by Martindale Hubbell based upon the votes of attorneys and judges throughout the state.
One of the Most Honored Attorneys in Florida
Stann has a reputation that is second-to-none, holding many of the highest possible honors given by the Florida legal community. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1998 and Super Lawyers® since 2006. In addition, Florida Trend magazine named him as one of Florida's Legal Elite. On Avvo.com, he is rated 10/10 (Superb).
His community involvement has included receiving an award for "extraordinary pro bono commitment" by the Spring of Tampa Bay and the Outstanding Community Service Award by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tampa. He was a founder and race director of the Gasparilla Distance Classic road race. He is active as an elder in the Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church and enjoys time with his grandkids and golf. Stann is grateful for the opportunities to give back.
Quick Facts About Stann Givens
- Bucknell University - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - 1971
- Florida State University College of Law - Juris Doctorate - 1973
- Supreme Court of Florida
- State Court of Florida
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
Selected Honors & Memberships
- "Lawyer of the Year" 2016 – Best Lawyers, Family Law, Tampa
- AV® Preeminent™ on Martindale-Hubbell® – Highest-possible peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Board Certified in Marital and Family Law – Supreme Court of Florida,1991 – 2021
- Certified Family Law Mediator – Supreme Court of Florida
- "Best Lawyers in America" since 1998 - Woodward/White lawyer rating
- 2006 – 2018 inclusion on the list of Florida Super Lawyers®
- Florida's Legal Elite – Florida Trend Magazine
- 10/10 "Superb" – Avvo
- Fellow & Past President – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Family Law Chapter
- Outstanding Community Service Award – Boys Club of Greater Tampa
- Extraordinary Pro Bono Commitment Award
"The Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn"
- Stann was honored by the Family Law Inn of Tampa in March, 2015, when the organization of 90 lawyers and judges who promote ethics and professionalism, permanently renamed the Inn in Stann's honor.
"Dissolution of Marriage Manual"
- Co-author of the alimony chapter
- Made available by the Florida State Bar to its members
- Has lectured and written extensively on family law topics
Experience & Advocacy
- Founder, Givens Law Group (now Givens Givens Sparks)
- Former President, Knox & Givens
- Felony Prosecutor – Hillsborough State Attorney's Office
- Assistant City Attorney
Professional athletes, celebrities, business leaders