STANN W. GIVENS
In the Tampa legal community, Stann Givens has a reputation for being a premier, board certified family law attorney. His professionalism, legal knowledge and service to his clients has been second-to-none for more than 40 years, and he holds many of the highest possible honors given by the Florida legal community. Stann has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1998 and Super Lawyers® since 2006. In addition, Florida Trend magazine named him as one of Florida's Legal Elite. On Avvo.com, he is rated 10/10 (Superb).
Stann’s expertise and network has allowed him to mentor the Givens Givens Sparks team through his leadership role as founding partner. A culture of award winning excellence developed within the firm, and the result has been the growth of a team of trial attorneys and staff who are ranked among the best in their fields. The firm’s awards include: “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, National Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers & Top 40 Under 40, National Black Trial Lawyers Top 100, Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, Expertise’s Best Personal Injury Lawyers, Lawyers of Distinction, "Lawyer of the Year" 2016 - Best Lawyers, Family Law, Tampa AV® Preeminent™ on Martindale-Hubbell®, "Best Lawyers in America" since 1998 - Woodward/White lawyer rating, and “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend magazine.
A former president of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Florida Chapter, Stann has frequently lectured throughout the state on matters relating to divorce law. He is also the author of the Alimony Chapter of the Florida Bar Dissolution of Marriage textbook.
In 1999, Stann was the first recipient of the Professionalism Award of the Family Law American Inn of Court of Tampa, and his highest professional honor was the recent renaming of the Inn, which is now known as the Stann W. Givens Family Law American Inn of Court of Tampa.
Outside of the legal community, Stann is grateful for the opportunity to support many local organizations. He received an award for "extraordinary pro bono commitment" by the Spring of Tampa Bay and the Outstanding Community Service Award by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tampa. He was a founder and race director of the Gasparilla Distance Classic road race, and he captains an American Heart Association Heart Walk team annually. Stann is active as an elder in the Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church, an avid golfer, and enjoys time with his grandkids.
Quick Facts About Stann Givens
- Bucknell University - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - 1971
- Florida State University College of Law - Juris Doctorate - 1973
- Supreme Court of Florida
- State Court of Florida
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
Selected Honors & Memberships
- "Lawyer of the Year" 2016 – Best Lawyers, Family Law, Tampa
- AV® Preeminent™ on Martindale-Hubbell® – Highest-possible peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Board Certified in Marital and Family Law – Supreme Court of Florida,1991 – 2021
- Certified Family Law Mediator – Supreme Court of Florida
- "Best Lawyers in America" since 1998 - Woodward/White lawyer rating
- 2006 – 2019 inclusion on the list of Florida Super Lawyers®
- Florida's Legal Elite – Florida Trend Magazine
- 10/10 "Superb" – Avvo
- Fellow & Past President – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Family Law Chapter
- Outstanding Community Service Award – Boys Club of Greater Tampa
- Extraordinary Pro Bono Commitment Award
"The Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn"
- Stann was honored by the Family Law Inn of Tampa in March, 2015, when the organization of 90 lawyers and judges who promote ethics and professionalism, permanently renamed the Inn in Stann's honor.
"Dissolution of Marriage Manual"
- Co-author of the alimony chapter
- Made available by the Florida State Bar to its members
- Has lectured and written extensively on family law topics
Experience & Advocacy
- Founder, Givens Law Group (now Givens Givens Sparks)
- Former President, Knox & Givens
- Felony Prosecutor – Hillsborough State Attorney's Office
- Assistant City Attorney
Professional athletes, celebrities, business leaders